Sisyphus Knits

Saturday, June 05, 2010

Northwoods




Memorial day weekend we went up to the North woods for the first time ever. The north woods is located approximately 350 miles north of where we live and it is beautiful, pristine, and bursting with huge fish to catch!
Of course fishing in the north woods made me think of my knitting icon, Elizabeth Zimmermann so I brought her Knitter's Almanac. Sure enough, in the month of May she was fishing for Walleye and knitting mittens. I love her philosophy "It is better not to make mittens in a hurry. Let's make them in May; let's take our time over them; let's venture into new approaches and designs; let's enjoy them." BTW I think she like semi colons as much as I do!
So I knit some mitered mittens out of Malabrigo worsted in Geranio (Geranium?) while the kiddos caught (and released) 21 Walleyes, all of them 18 to 21 inches. Isabel, Tess, and I canoed around the lake and saw 3 bald eagles, an otter, and a pair of loons. All in all, the perfect weekend!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home