Sisyphus Knits

Monday, January 15, 2007

Thrumming along


I've had little knitting content on here lately, and I'm afraid my 4 readers will desert me! So here is a picture of the thrummed mittens I am knitting. They are going to be so warm inside, I can't wait, and it finally got kind of cold here in Chicago, so I can use them. Two weeks ago it was 50 degrees, but now it's 6 or something, and I'm talking farenheit! I was talking to one of our Candian clients a couple of weeks ago during the warm spell & he said "it's beautiful outside, I could go play golf if I wanted, it's 16 degrees." At first I didn't know if he was merely being ironic because Candadians are used to cold weather & maybe 16 in January seemed warm to him; but then I realized he was talking Celsius! I have no idea how Celsius works! In 2nd grade they made us learn the metric system & claimed that the U.S. would switch over soon in order to join the rest of the world, but damn if we didn't stay put with our inches, yards, pounds, miles per hour and Farenheit! And the funny thing is, they're still making kids learn the metric system, I just had to help my 9 year old convert meters to centimeters & vice versa for her homework, but I told her not to sweat it too much, it's not as important as say algebra or addition. This reminds me of a funny story. One time my husband and I were in England, staying at a swanky hotel, and I decided to use the health club. I went down there & there was a VERY cute Brit manning the equipment who insisted on helping me set the Stairmaster. So he asked me how many kilograms I weighed. Attempting to appear cosmopolitan and like a world traveller, I blithely said 40, which apparently is 80 pounds or something. So he made me step on the scale (!) so he could determine exactly how many mega-meters or whatever I did actually weigh, and it was a number much greater than 40; I did not use the health club again!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG, I LOVE the mittens. Make sure you bring them on Wednesday!

Oh, and it is something like 2.2 kilos to the pound. I was forever converting in my head when I lived in Spain.

8:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, the joy of the metric system. It comes up quite often in the Chemistry department, but that's its own little world.

Hope to make it Wednesday and see those mittens in person. :)

10:01 PM  
Blogger Mindy said...

The mitten looks great!

I can only convert the temp easily. The rest of the metric system requires to much thought for me!

9:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home