Sisyphus Knits

Sunday, February 24, 2008

When life hands you lemons...


make a Vegan Chocolate Strawberry Trifle! I made a resolution to eat more Vegan meals this year; if it were just me, I would go Vegan in a heartbeat, but my husband and kids are total meat lovers, so it's not easy. Still I try where I can. This morning I made a recipe from Vegan with a Vengeance: Scrambled Tofu. It was delicious, I pretty much followed her recipe, but added broccoli and didn't add nutritional yeast (because I have NO idea what that is or where to look for it!). This afternoon, I was making a Vegan Chocolate Cake (Namaste cake mix from Whole Foods) and the cake got stuck in a pan & made a big crumbly mess, so I cut it into cubes, then layered it in a trifle dish with Soy Whip (mixed with a little melted Scharffenberger Antilles Dark Chocolate) and strawberries. Voila, a beautiful dessert because my mom is coming over for dinner tonight and she deserves it!

7 Comments:

Blogger Alyssa said...

I will never ever ever be vegan (or even vegetarian), but darn that dessert looks good. And me here craving strawberries already...

11:49 AM  
Blogger Marlena said...

Nutritional yeast is amazing! It adds great flavor (a kind of cheesy flavor) to pretty much any vegan dish, and also thickens things up. You mentioned going to Whole Foods; they have nutritional yeast in the bulk section. In my store, it's near the bulk flours. After you get some, definitely try the Fettuccine Alfreda from Vegan with a Vengeance. It's stupendous!

9:56 AM  
Blogger Tamara said...

YUM!!!! Your dessert looks way beyond delicious! In Tamara's perfect world, someone prepares healthy organic vegan meals for me and I am skinny and happy and perfect!

7:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmmmm... that looks delicious!!
I, too, like nutritional yeast, but be warned that it is a very strong flavor. I personally don't think it tastes anything like cheese, but its a good boost of flavor if you are eliminating cheese from your diet. I use it a lot to add flavor, protein and fiber. Plus, its low in calories and salt. My favorite is to mix a cup of brown rice, a cup of cooked beans, a cup of steamed veggie and sprinkle it with nutritional yeast and a bit of olive oil (or soy marg). Yum! [oh, and it has a very strong scent... stronger than the flavor, I think]

So, did you enjoy that triffle or what?! :)

12:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uh, I thought being vegan was supposed to me about healthy eating... not seeing how many calories you can cram into something without using butter or cream. But that's just me.

2:39 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

You know what Chinook, you can stay with mom next weekend.

11:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Honey that looks delicious! Its a nice healthy meal. I would eat it in one bite. I would make it for my kids if I had some!

2:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home