Sisyphus Knits

Saturday, September 23, 2006

The Perils of ordering yarn online

Okay, I really went back and forth (in my mind) over whether to post about this or not, but since everyone in my knitting Group is on the brink of ordering yarn from Posh, I felt I had to post this. Let me preface this post by saying the woman I spoke with at Posh, Dee, is lovely and she offered to replace the yarn I purchased, but I felt that sending one skein of yarn back to England was just silly. So here are the pictures: on the left, the picture on Posh's website of the color Cosmopolitan, on the right, the actual skein Cosmopolitan, photographed in my house by me!


And actually, I have to say that seeing these side by side on the web, they actually look like they could be the same yarn. But in person, the real Cosmopolitan is orange, purple, blue, green, and white, and on the website I thought it looked green, blue, and yellow. So while one skein of sock yarn is no great loss, I wouldn't want to order a sweater's worth of yarn unless I saw it in person. And I have ordered STR, Zen yarngarden, and Vespers via internet, and never had this problem before. So that's my story, group members, I will bring the yarn to group next time so you can see it in person & tell me what you think.

3 Comments:

Blogger Alyssa said...

Wow - that does not look like the same yarn at all! Thanks for sharing and definitely bring it to Group...I still want to pet it:)

11:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I still like it though, despite the false advertising...I think it would make a nice hat or sock(s).

6:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh darn! I bet the one to the left is from one dye session and the one to the right is an attempt to copy the previous dye session. I always take photos of all my yarns because handpainting can turn out so different each time and it's really hard to get the exact same colourway each time - it's just the nature of handpainting.

3:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home