Sisyphus Knits

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Thoughts on the Harlot book


I finished the Harlot book that Lynae picked up for me at the Oakbrook appearance last week. Here are my thoughts: While Knitting Rules made me laugh out loud on the train (to my embarrassment, I mean I know the guy sitting next to me was thinking "she's reading a knitting book and laughing out loud") this one merely provoked a gentle snort of recognition from time to time. Also, she's missing three diseases (in her section on knitters' diseases, pgs. 131-140), One: Frogitis, where you find a mistake in your knitting or the color is pooling strangely or whatever and you frog your whole project and start again. Perfectionists are especially prone to this disease and there is no known cure; at one time or another I have frogged nearly every project I have ever knit. Two: Covetitis: where you covet everything you see on other people's blogs and in fact immediately order the supplies to knit that which you covet even if it's 1 in the morning (especially! if it's one in the morning); this is how I amassed most of my stash. Also you are especially vulnerable to this disease if you are studying for a big test and using your computer a lot. The only way to avoid this disease is to stop surfing knitting blogs and stop attending snbs. Three: Seeing Knitting in Everything, family members can even catch this disease. Last Saturday I went out for sushi with one of my kids and we went to the Japanese grocery store attached to the sushi shop & she said "Mom, come here quick they have really fancy knitting needles!" They were chopsticks! Fake jade, mother of pearl encrusted pointy chopsticks. Ha!
And finally, in her list of knitting songs (pg. 173) she is missing the best knitting song ever; I am of course referring to Weezer-The Sweater Song (If you want to destroy my sweater, pull this thread as I walk away, watch me unravel I'll soon be naked...) If you never heard it before, head on over to itunes right now!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree that I merely smiled at most of the book. I think I did LOL at least once.

I will see you tomorrow night and my little problem will all be over....now if I could just get some sleep tonight and not stress over it, it will all be ok.

9:27 PM  
Blogger Mindy said...

I felt the same way.

My son did the same thing but while reading a book. There was string used to tie something but he refers to all string as "mommy's yarn".

7:54 AM  
Blogger Julie McC. said...

Oh, dear. I recognize myself in all those knitting diseases.

12:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home